Post-Transplant Outcomes in High-Risk Compared to Non-High Risk Multiple Myeloma

Conventional cytogenetics and interphase fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH) identify a high-risk multiple myeloma (HRM) population characterized by poor outcomes. We analyzed these differences among HRM versus non-HRM after upfront autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation (autoHCT). Between 2008 and 2012, 715 patients with multiple myeloma with FISH and/or cytogenetic data with upfront autoHCT were identified in the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research database. HRM was defined as del17p, t(4;14), t(14;16), hypodiploidy (< 45 chromosomes excluding -Y) or chromosome 1 p and 1q abnormalities; all others were non-HRM. Among 125 (17.5%) HRM patients, induction with bortezomib and immunomodulatory agents (imid) was higher compared to non-HRM (56% vs 43%, p <0.001) with similar pre-transplant complete response (CR) (14% vs 16%, p 0.1). At day-100 post-transplant, ≥ very good partial response was 59% in HRM and 61% in non-HRM (p=0.6). More HRM patients received post-transplant therapy with bortezomib and imids (26% vs 12%, p=0.004). Three-year post-transplant progression-free (PFS) and overall survival (OS) in HRM versus non-HRM were 37% vs 49%, p <0.001 and 72% vs 85%, p <0.001 respectively. At 3-years, PFS for HRM with and without post-transplant therapy was 46(95% confidence interval 33-59)% versus 14(4-29)% and in non-HRM with and without post-transplant therapy 55(49-62)% versus 39(32-47)%; OS for HRM with and without post-transplant therapy was 81(70-90)% versus 48(30-65)% compared to 88(84-92)% and 79(73-85)% in non-HRM with and without post-transplant therapy respectively. Among patients receiving post-transplant therapy, there was no difference in OS between HRM and non-HRM (p 0.08). In addition to HRM, higher stage, <CR pre-transplant, lack of post-transplant therapy and African-American race were associated with worse OS. In conclusion, we show HRM patients achieve similar day-100 post-transplant responses compared to non-HRM, but these responses are not sustained. Post-transplant therapy appeared to improve the poor outcomes of HRM.

 Biol Blood Marrow Transplant

By continuing to browse this site you permit us and our partners to place identification cookies on your browser and agree to our use of cookies to identify you for marketing. Read our Privacy Policy to learn more.